Wallpaper in canada is a versatile and timeless decorating element that can transform any room in your Canadian home. With the vast array of patterns, textures, and colors available, choosing the suitable wallpaper can add depth, style, and character to your space. In this guide, we’ll explore some tips and ideas for decorating wallpaper in Canada, including choosing suitable wallpaper, preparing your walls, and installing your wallpaper.
Wallpaper has long been a popular choice for home décor, and in Canada, it offers an exciting range of possibilities for transforming your living space. Get a touch of elegance, create a bold statement, or infuse a room with personality, wallpaper can be a powerful tool in achieving your desired aesthetic. In this guide, we will explore various aspects of decorating with wallpaper in Canada, from selecting the suitable wallpaper to installation techniques and design ideas. Let’s dive in!
Choosing the Right Wallpaper:
When choosing wallpaper for your Canadian home, consider the following factors:
- Style: The style of your wallpaper should reflect the overall theme of your room. For example, vintage wallpaper would look great in a classic or shabby chic bedroom, while modern geometric wallpaper would be perfect for a contemporary living room.
- Pattern: The pattern of your wallpaper can make a significant impact on the atmosphere of the room. Busy patterns can add energy and vibrancy, while subtle ways can create a calming and relaxing ambiance.
- Color: The color of your wallpaper should complement the rest of your decor. Consider using wallpaper with a similar color palette to your furniture and accessories for a cohesive and harmonious look.
- Texture: Textured wallpapers can add depth and interest to your walls. Consider using wallpaper with a raised or embossed pattern to create a tactile element in your room.
Preparing Your Walls:
Before you install your wallpaper, it’s essential to prepare your walls properly. Follow these steps to prepare your walls:
- Clean the walls thoroughly with a damp cloth to remove dirt or debris.
- Repair any holes, cracks, or imperfections in your walls with a spackle or joint compound.
- Sand any rough spots or bumps on the walls.
- Prime your walls with a suitable primer. This will help your wallpaper adhere better and prevent any discoloration or staining.
Installing Your Wallpaper:
Installing wallpaper can be daunting, but it can be a fun and rewarding project with the right tools and techniques. Follow these steps to install your wallpaper:
- Measure your walls carefully and add a few extra inches to each measurement to account for any pattern matching or trimming.
- Cut your wallpaper to the appropriate size and shape. Be sure to match the pattern correctly if your wallpaper has a repeating pattern.
- Apply wallpaper paste to the back of your wallpaper using a roller or brush.
- Hang your wallpaper on the wall, starting from the top and working your way down.
- Smooth any bubbles or wrinkles with a wallpaper smoothing tool or a plastic scraper.
- Trim any excess wallpaper at the edges of your walls using a sharp blade or scissors.
Tips and Ideas for Decorating with Wallpaper in Canada:
- Create an Accent Wall: An accent wall is a great way to add a pop of color or pattern to your room without overwhelming the space. Choose one wall in your room and cover it with bold and eye-catching wallpaper.
- Mix and Match: Mixing and matching wallpaper patterns can create a unique and eclectic look. For example, you could pair a floral wallpaper with a striped wallpaper to add interest and depth to your walls.
- Use Wallpaper to Define Spaces: Wallpaper can define spaces in an open-concept living area. For example, you could use a different wallpaper on the wall behind your dining table to create a separate dining area.
- Wallpaper the Ceiling: Wallpapering your ceiling can add a touch of drama and elegance to your room. Choose a subtle pattern or texture wallpaper to create a sophisticated look.
- Create a Focal Point: Use wallpaper to create a focal point in your room. For example, you could use wallpaper with a large-scale pattern or image to draw the eye to a specific area of your room.
Types of Wallpaper
Various types of wallpaper are available in the market, each with its unique characteristics and purposes. Here are some popular types of wallpaper:
Vinyl wallpaper is one of the most durable and versatile options. It consists of a vinyl top layer that makes it resistant to moisture, stains, and abrasions. Vinyl wallpaper is easy to clean and suitable for high-traffic areas like kitchens and bathrooms.
Non-woven wallpaper is made from natural and synthetic fibers. It is breathable, tear-resistant, and easy to install and remove. Non-woven wallpaper is often pre-pasted, requiring only water activation for installation.
Paper wallpaper is a classic choice and comes in various textures and patterns. It is generally affordable and easy to work with. However, it is less durable than vinyl or non-woven wallpaper and more prone to damage from moisture or abrasion.
Grasscloth wallpaper is made from natural fibers such as grass, jute, or hemp. It adds a unique and textured look to a space, with variations in color and texture due to the natural materials. Grasscloth wallpaper is best suited for low-traffic areas as it can be delicate and challenging to clean.
Textured wallpaper adds depth and dimension to a room. It can mimic various textures like brick, stone, or fabric. Textured wallpaper is an excellent choice for creating visual interest and adding a tactile element to the walls.
Peel-and-stick wallpaper, also known as self-adhesive or removable wallpaper, has an adhesive backing that allows easy installation and removal. Its an unique option for those who want to change the look of their walls frequently or for renters who want a temporary decor solution.
Fabric wallpaper is made from silk, linen, or cotton. It offers a luxurious and elegant look with a soft and textured feel. Fabric wallpaper can be more challenging to install and may require professional assistance.
Metallic wallpaper features metallic accents or a reflective surface that adds a touch of glamour and sophistication to a space. It can use to create focal points or to enhance specific design elements in a room.
Mural wallpaper is designed to cover an entire wall with a large-scale image or scene. It can transform a room by creating a dramatic statement or immersing it in a specific theme or atmosphere.
Flock wallpaper has a velvet-like raised pattern created by applying short fibers to the surface. It adds a luxurious and textured look to the walls, often used in traditional or vintage-inspired decor.
When choosing the right type of wallpaper, consider the room’s function, level of durability required, desired aesthetic, and installation preferences. Each type has its strengths and considerations, so selecting the one that best suits your needs and design vision is essential.